Friday, July 10, 2009

Weekend Sewing: Summer Blouse

Bet you thought I burned out, huh? Nope, at least not yet. Here's the "Summer Blouse" pattern from Heather Ross' book, Weekend Sewing:


This was my favorite project in the book and the one I wanted to run home and make after purchasing it. No surprise, but there are tons of these out there on the nets. I'm just late to the party!

The pattern needed a few adjustments. I started with the Medium and added a FBA using the Nancy Zeiman method. I had to lower the neckline 1-3/8 inch...it's really high (even for you Shan!) I lengthed the bodice pieces by 2 inches because I could tell right away they weren't long enough for this style. The proportion was off. (Next time I'll be adding at least 1 more inch. I only serged the edge to hem this one!)

Some bloggers have lengthened the sleeves, others have shortened them because they were too long. If it helps at all, they were "just right" for me. In length only though...I did a tissue fit but I still need about an inch in width at the biceip. It's not uncomfortably tight and should loosen up on wearing, so I'm not going to sweat it in this top.

Lastly, I lowered the bust dart 1". Now for the goods! I used an old favorite, a dark blue dotty print for my facings, binding, and the button loop:



It just barely shows through the fabric, which is a look I LOVE. I also hemstitched the facings from the right side, rather than plain old topstitched. It goes much better with the vintagey feel of the fabric (which is an awesome lightweight cotton from Hancocks! It looks and feels like a lovely vintage sheet!)


The placket ends in a V shape, and you slipstich the opening a few inches. This is purely decorative, only you can't "see" it. It's an odd treatment...and I'm not sure it will stand the test of time on someone with a bust. The model in the book isn't as well endowed as yours truly. ;)


I added a vintage lavender button from my antique button stash. I'll never be buttoning this top, but is a nice addition:


Here's the top on me (who hasn't fixed her hair or face yet. And probably won't today.)


Other than the slight snuggy feeling of the biceps, I LOVE THIS TOP!! I would wear it every single day. Which means I need to get some fabric washed & on the line so I can make another!

Lest you think I've been whiling away my time in front of the tv (I have) I'll have you know, I've also almost finished this little pattern, also a Built By Wendy:


But I'll save that post for another day.

20 comments:

  1. Looks like a great blouse that will take you right into fall! Love the fabric, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look like a great blouse, very pretty on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blouse. My, you are busy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I continue to be amazed by your lovely fabrics, many skirts and now this great top!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty blouse! You look so nice in pink, as I'm sure you're aware. I love the contrasting yoke treatment and how you get a peek when its worn open. Just had to post my word verfication is wertlert. Hahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty blouse hun! Love your fabirc choice!! I miss chatting with you! How have you been?

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  7. That blouse is really nice on you. I love the fabric.

    I'm new to your blog, but really like it. Have you finished your Hot Pattern's Riviera Top yet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty blouse. I love the dotty facings. Too, too cute. Can't wait to see the dress. g

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Angie,

    Once again you've shown such beautiful creative talent. The fabric choices and designs are always perfect for eachother. Thank you for all your inspiring photos and lovely thoughts I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that blouse - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the look of this blouse on you and the fabric choice is perfect. I must check
    out this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty, and it looks comfy too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well I went to buy the book after seeing your blouse. I absolutely love that fabric, where did you buy it?
    I also watched an 8 min video of Heather Ross on Martha Stewart :))))
    Thanks for posting about this book.

    http://www.marthastewart.com/article/smocked-sundress?video_id=0&autonomy_kw=heather%20ross

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the contrasting polka dot fabric detail on the facing. Such a cute top. I admire your nerve in hemstitching the facings. I'm always afraid I'll make a mistake and then have those holes to deal with if I try to correct the mistake. You're one brave girl!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is better than the one in the book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Everytime I read your blog you always have creative interesting ideas to share with the blogging community. I absolutely love the polka dotted material you used on the facing of the blouse. You have a talent with mixing and matching your materials.
    That blouse looks like something that would be featured in a high end women's boutique. Gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous4:14 PM

    Thank you so so much for all the details. There are several of these blouses on the web but the others lacked details I crave as I'm a girl with curves, especially up top. Your choice of fabric was perfect. Very country chic!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another great piece. Love the top and the contrast ribbon at the neckline!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous7:09 AM

    oh, i LOVE that top!! So cute!
    Veedogknits (who has not posted to her blog in so long that she cannot remember her password right now!!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is SOOO cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you, and thank you in advance for reading and commenting! &